In 1941, Mr. Kimmerly died and his loan was still outstanding. With $285.00 still owing in 1943, Mr. E. Leibner, Fred Walters and William Reynolds each loaned the board $75.00, two year term at four percent interest in order to pay the estate.
In 1942 the Perpetual Care Fund was set up under the new mandatory cemetery legislation. It stated that a portion of the price of a grave be invested with the Public Trustee or a Trust Company. The interest on the fund is returned but the principal is untouchable. In 1945 Mr. D. Coll offered some land running parallel to the highway for a new level entrance in exchange for a burial plot. The old entrance was just a little off the brow of the ravine, hard to maintain and dangerous. This offer was accepted. This again was a period of hard times and the funds were helped by having card parties and dances. Mr. Earl Winters was secretary and among the trustees were these names, Mrs. Austin Walters, Wm. Reynolds, Walter Reeves, Fred Walters, Perc Smith, Claude Rose, Leo McLean and note James R. Smith, 1948.
This decade holds some interesting stories. The fund raising project was oyster suppers held from 1952-55 inclusive. Tickets were $1.25 and the suppers were held in the hall. Old records show oysters at $7.00 a gal. In 1953 a legal description of the parallel drive and the main drive was included in the survey of land purchased from Mr. Coll for the parking lot, price $85.00.
In 1955 the board purchased the present tool shed from Reg Stirling, New Scotland, for $150.00. Clarence Stirling related that this building was moved in 1956 on skids, tractor drawn, by way of Township roads.
In 1956 another land deal was consummated. Highway #3 (Talbot Road) had been upgraded the previous year, the gully filled level and resurfaced. The board traded the parallel drive back to Mr. Coll in exchanged for a small area at the cemetery to place the tool shed on. The driveway came in again at right angles. The board purchased land on the south west of the cemetery from Mr. Coll for future expansion, price $500.00 and this land remained farmed for several years. Mr. Norman McLachlan became secretary and trustees in this span were Jim Smith, Norman Carnie and Clarence Stirling, note 1952.
Land requisition was attempted but failed. It was felt that enough land for a driveway on the west would be very desirable and convenient in the future. Mr. Carnie retired at the end of 1962 after many faithful years having served in different time periods. Mr. James Rose was the replacement but regretfully didn’t complete one year of service due to a serious illness. Douglas Brackett was elected (1964) to fill the remaining term. Many improvements were made, stones straightened, fence row cleaned and driveways cared for.
The story of the RICHARDSON STONE and burial ground was related to me by a very sharp and spry lady, Mrs. Bob McKinlay. The Crown deed was obtained by the Richardsons and remained in their family until 1913 when the McKinlays purchased the farm. In pioneer days it was not unusual to locate a small family burial plot on the farm. There was no legislation prohibiting this practise and so the Richardson family buried their relatives on the gravel ridge crossing their farm. In the early sixties the McKinlay family was anxious to build another home on the farm and requested the Richardson descendants to move the stone and remains to Morpeth. In 1962 Mrs. Catherine Hall, a Richardson descendant had the stone moved but said there would be no remains left. The McKinlsays located the new home to the west of the indicated burial plot but did unearth some remains. Mrs. McKinlay related some very humorous stories best left out. These remains were interred on their farm.